Give Special HomeMade Eco Friendly Christmas Gifts This Year
A home-made and hand-made gift is always received well, because it was made with love and care – what could be better (or more eco friendly) than that?
As you know, the whole point of giving eco-friendly Christmas gifts is to avoid resource waste during manufacturing and transportation, and avoid products ending up in landfills after the holidays are over.
By making and giving these really easy homemade eco friendly Christmas gifts, you’ll protect the planet, save money, and bring joy!
Here are some great ideas – that are also quite easy. (They need to be easy for me to make them. My friends call me The Green Goddess, but Domestic Goddess I ain’t!).
Edible and drinkable gifs are always a favourite. Flavoured Vodkas are fun to make and to receive, and are a perfect way to celebrate the festive season.
- attractive bottles for the finished product,
- good neutral-flavoured vodka,
- fruit, vegetables, herbs and spices of your choice.
Full instructions are available from the Huffington Post, but essentially you place your chosen ingredients in the bottle, add vodka, and leave it to rest in the dark for 3 to 14 days depending upon the ingredients. Couldn’t be easier!
I like the Cucumber Vodka because it’s so refreshing, but the Chilli Vodka is wonderfully warming. (The nice part is that you get to check how the flavours are ‘maturing’ every couple of days). 🙂
Edible gifts make very popular and welcome homemade eco friendly Christmas gifts!
Choose from a wide range including delicious vanilla sugar, pancake mix (for pancakes without the hassle), breakfast granola, or even homemade tea blends. All these recipes and more are in the Huffington Post. Once you’ve made the gifts, you’ll want to package them beautifully – glass jars are attractive, reusable and recyclable, as are cardboard boxes.
Chocolate chip cookies always go down well, and there’s a great recipe in the New York Times. Although the recipe says to use bittersweet chocolate discs, you can easily substitute a slab of good chocolate and chop it up.
Or make this delightful floral syrup as a homemade eco friendly Christmas gift – it is absolutely delicious spooned over good vanilla ice cream.
- Put 2 cups water into a saucepan
- Add 1 cup white sugar
- Add ½ cup fresh lavender flowers
- Add the zest of one lemon.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the liquid until it becomes syrupy.
- Strain and pour the liquid into a beautiful bottle and seal.
It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Homemade Body Scrub
Homemade body scrubs are gorgeous homemade eco friendly Christmas gifts, particularly as the ones in shops are often very expensive.
Of course, the ones you make yourself are free of any chemicals, dyes or other nasties. And they smell so good!
Here’s one of my favourite recipes:
Coffee Sugar Scrub
- 2 cups coarsely ground coffee
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or sea salt
- 3 tablespoons almond oil or olive oil or jojoba oil
- a few drops of vanilla extract.
To use: simply slather it all over you in the shower, massage it in a little, then turn the water on and rinse it off in warm water.
Or try this recipe for Citrus Salt Body Scrub.
Try some of these homemade eco friendly Christmas gifts yourself. They’re all easy, and they make a delightful, personal gift that everyone will love to receive!
If you enjoyed these homemade eco friendly gifts, please Share them with your friends (buttons below and right) – thank you!
P.S. Would you like some more great ideas for eco friendly Christmas gifts? See
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for animal lovers
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for kids
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for adults
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for those who care
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for book lovers
- Eco friendly Christmas gifts for book lovers – is the Kindle green?
- More Eco friendly Christmas gifts