Ekobrew – How to Beat the Coffee Trash without Sacrificing Convenience!
(Quicklinks – Ekobrew – which Keurig coffee machines are compatible?
There’s a lot of buzz about Ekobrew. Let’s look at it.
If you like coffee, you probably love the ease of single-use coffee like K Cup. There’s no denying, single cup coffee is hugely convenient – and wildly popular.
So popular in fact, that in the US last year, 5 billion (yes, 5 billion!) Keurig K Cups were sold, used and then discarded by customers. That’s not green!
K-cups are made from non-biodegradable plastic and foil. Definitely not eco-friendly!
So, if you want to make the best daily consumption choices, but still have convenience, what can you do?
Enter Ekobrew – a re-useable filter for Keurig K Cup Brewers. Instead of those nasty (but convenient) little cups, you pour coffee directly into the Ekobrew reusable filter. Everything else works exactly the same way. That means you can use your favourite organic / fair trade / shade grown / bee friendly coffee and still have the ease and convenience of making just one cup, quickly. I like that!
Tell me more about the Ekobrew?
- The filter is made of plastic, but it is BPA-free, and of course it’s reusable.
- It can hold up to 14 grams of coffee – many people find K Cups and their competitors offer coffee which is too weak, but not so with this filter.
- The Ekobrew is often compared to the SoloFill, but it had a few issues, which all seem to have been overcome with the Ekobrew.
- For example, the Solofill had a stick-out piece at the bottom, which meant that it couldn’t easily stand on its own, and the hollow inside was difficult to clean. A comment I rather liked on a coffee forum from a very happy user was “Flat bottom…a lot easier to fill the cup up with one eye closed in the morning”. He also said the hinge was very sturdy. The filter holds more coffee than the Solofill.
- There is a Fill Line – but you don’t have to use it! Just experiment a little, and find the amount that’s best for you. If you like really strong coffee, then fill up to the fill line. If you prefer weaker coffee, don’t. It’s up to you!
- The Ekobrew is designed to be used with a Medium to Coarse drip grind coffee for the best results. Not too sure what that means? Starbucks #8 or #9 is a good example. If you use a very fine grind, you may get some sediment in your coffee (in many countries, this is seen as proof of a good coffee!). If you use a very coarse grind coffee, the water will pass through very quickly and won’t extract the most coffee flavour, resulting in weaker coffee.
- Of course, the freshness of the coffee is important – the fresher the coffee, the better it tastes!
What do other people think?
Click this link to see Ekobrew Customer Comments on Amazon
Is it available now? If so, Where?
You can buy Ekobrew right now at a good price from Amazon.
I think it’s a cool product – simply click on the Amazon button to view or buy!
What about the Keurig or Cuisanart coffee machines?
If you already own a Keurig coffee machine, then please, switch immediately to the reusable Ekobrew filter.
If not, consider buying a machine to give you the convenience, without the waste.
I have already done all the work for you – not all models are compatible with the new reusable feature, but I’ve done all the research and the machines listed below can all use the filter.
You can buy all of them via Amazon – as you know, Amazon are famed for their reliability (they even ship to my tiny tropical island!), and you can buy whichever model makes sense for you – just click on the pictures below for more information and to buy.
In keeping with the convenience of single-cup coffee (which by the way, uses less energy than a traditional coffee machine as it uses only enough to produce one single cup so energy isn’t wasted), here are all the compatible Keurig coffee machines, including one for the office.
Just remember to be green and always use a ceramic cup or mug, not a disposable cup! And of course, use your own favourite organic / fair trade / shade grown / bee-friendly coffee with it!
Ekobrew Compatible Machines:
B31 Mini Plus
B60 Gourmet / Special Edition
B77 Select / Ultra
B79 Platinum Plus
B145 Office Pro
Also Compatible are:
Breville BKC 600 XL
Breville BKC 700 XL
Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG1
Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG2
Photo Credits: Ekobrew